Home / Blog
5 Healthy Tips for the Seniors to Follow During the Festive Season
With the onset of the festive season, you see your entire family participating in the celebrations, making plans, and looking for décor. While this may be a thrilling activity for you, a lot of time it is our senior family members who face a tough time in the festive chaos. Though we keep them comfortable and see whether their requirements are met or not, it is their health which we need to look out for the most.
Staying healthy can be a challenge during this time of year, especially for seniors. You can offer your elder older relatives options and ask them what they want to do, but don’t assume their limitations. To help seniors stay healthy during the holidays, reduce their stress and avoid the holiday blues, keep the following healthy tips in mind:
- Always make healthy choices for them – The festive season is a great time to enjoy festive delicacies with your family. However, you should avoid overindulgence for your senior members. You can plan your meals with other events in mind, and plan a diet chart for them. A great way to stay worry-free yet keep taking care of their healthy easily is by adding a health supplement to their diet plan.
Vitamin D3+K2 from Nirvasa is one of the best supplements for seniors. The primary function of vitamin K2 is to direct calcium in the right places. It activates a number of proteins in the body that direct calcium into teeth, thus making them stronger. It also helps in the synthesis of vitamin D in the body, which makes a significant contribution to keeping the elderly cheerful. Supplementing with the perfect pair of vitamins D3+K2 helps retain the natural strength of bones, helping them deal with the daily rush.
- Keep them hydrated – One of the easiest ways to keep your elder family members healthy is by offering a regular fluid intake. Senior citizens need to drink plenty of fluids if they’re not having enough water. Keep a bottle of water in their bags, or on their side tables for easier access.
- Follow dietary restrictions – Offer your elderly members a special diet that is low in sodium content. It can be difficult to stick to a healthy diet plan, as the senior members grumble for not letting them have festive savories. They would often act stressed for not getting what they want, so keep healthy food options like freshly-cut fruits handy.
- Control their drinking – Many elderly family members, especially the grandfathers like having a couple of drinks before their dinner time. Since the festive time sees relatives pouring in for lunches and dinners, their drinking sessions could also become longer. You can replace these with fun, alcohol-free drinks so everyone, including the seniors can celebrate the festive season.
- Take them out for light exercises – The festive season, especially around Diwali, sees a change in weather which may bring along other seasonal diseases like cough, cold, and fever. As the elderly can easily fall prey to these, you need to take them out for a session of walking or any other light exercise for an hour or two, daily.
October 22, 2021