Do you often catch cough and cold with mild seasonal change while others in the family sail through the weather unscathed? Maybe you need to think of strengthening your body’s natural defences. Nowadays, you may find a range of immunity boosters available in the market and picking up the right one for yourself can be a challenge. To ease out such confusion, we decided to unveil the immune-boosting benefits of Ashwagandha. Let’s take a look!
What is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha also known as ‘winter cherry’ is a perennial herb revered in Ayurveda for its rejuvenating and restorative properties. The Sanskrit word ‘Ashwagandha’ translates to the smell of a horse is often looked upon as an agent to enhance immunity and overall health. Besides, this herb makes a natural adaptogen and is highly helpful in relieving stress and anxiety.
Ashwagandha for Immunity
Ashwagandha, botanically known as Withania somnifera is rich inpolyphenols, amino acids, peptides, vitamins, and minerals that have a profound impact on the human immune system. These valuable constituents enhance cell-mediated immunity in the body and help ward off seasonal flu, infections, and allergies. Besides, polyphenols in the herbal extract protect body cells and tissues from oxidative stress and lower your chances of getting sick.
How is Ashwagandha Used for Optimal Immunity?
Ashwagandha shares a versatile use and its leaves, roots, flowers, and fruits can be used for the best health benefits. At present, many nutraceutical companies come up with ashwagandha extract in the form of a capsule supplement for easy and convenient use.
Other Health Benefits of Ashwagandha
Though Ashwagandha has gained tremendous popularity as an ayurvedic immunity booster, it hosts a multitude of health benefits. Here are a few impressive ones:
- Relaxes Mind: Winter cherry or Indian ginseng is a natural adaptogen that is used to manage the symptoms of anxiety and stress. This herb lowers cortisol production in the body, improves blood circulation, and calms the mind.
- Treats Sleep Disorders: Ashwagandha is highly beneficial for people suffering from sleep disorders such as insomnia. The sleep-inducing effect of Ashwagandha is linked with trimethylene glycol in its leaves.
- Boosts Testosterone: Ancient Indian texts about sexuality tout Ashwagandha as a powerful ignitor. Thanks to its testosterone-boosting potential and natural compounds that help relieve erectile dysfunction, low sperm count, infertility, and low libido (in both men and women).
- Enhance Athletic Endurance: Since ashwagandha makes an organic testosterone booster, it is highly helpful for bodybuilders and sportspersons. Powerful compounds in this ayurvedic medicine enhance energy levels and help achieve an aesthetic build quickly.
- Boosts Cognition: Famous for its immune and fertility-boosting properties, Ashwagandha makes a super herb for improving cognition as well. Key compounds in the herb have a profound impact on brainpower and people experience a boost in memory and learning abilities upon its regular consumption. Also, Ashwagandha makes a great remedy for preventing age-related mental decline and psychotic disorders in the elderly.
These are a few ways Ashwagandha can improve your overall health. The supplement not only strengthens your immune system but also uplifts your overall health.